Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Generac 5605 XP Series XP6500E 8,125 Watt 410cc OHV Portable Gas Powered Generator With Electric Start

Generac 5605 XP Series XP6500E 8,125 Watt 410cc OHV Portable Gas Powered Generator With Electric Start Manufacturer

Featuring Generac's OHVI engine, the professional grade XP Series of portable generators has been engineered for high performance. Durable construction with oversized full wrap frame tubing and impact resistant corners minimizes damage from rough handling.

Generac 5605 XP Series XP6500E Description

This powerful Generac portable generator comes with a wheel kit that lets you bring the power where ever you need it. U.S.A. Surge Watts: 8,125, Rated Watts: 6,500, Start Type: Electric, Engine Displacement (cc): 410, Engine: Generac OHVI, Run Time: 14 hrs. at 1/2 load, Receptacles (qty.): 5, Fuel Type: Gasoline, Fuel Capacity (gal.): 9, Low Oil Shutdown: Yes, Battery Required: Yes, Battery Included: Yes, Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 32 1/2 x 26 x 29 1/2

Features
  •     Electric Start
  •     Locking fold-down handles and wheel kit
  •     Hour meter with maintenance resets
  •     8,125 Surge Watts/6,500 Rated Watts
  •     Non-CARB Compliant/Not For Sale In California

This review is from: Generac 5605 XP Series XP6500E 8,125 Watt 410cc OHV Portable Gas Powered Generator With Electric Start

Quality and Value for the Money
, November 1, 2011 By average consumer
Bought this generator to replace a 4000 watt unit that was good but not large enough. This unit is a serious genset with quality components, not as cheap as generac's other consumer choices. The XP denotes the jobsite/pro line of portable generators. I think its quality and features compare favorably with much more expensive brands. The engine has pressurized oil lubrication (a feature you don't find in smaller gensets) and low-oil cutoff WHICH IS ESSENTIAL IN A GENERATOR! The foldable handles are very sturdy and the large wheels are very manuverable. I've got the E-model with battery/electric start, a feature that makes it easy starting for my wife/elderly father. As far as capacity goes, most gensets are over-rated. This one is not. I'm runninig this unit at at 6000 watts plus a 1hp water pump and this unit is having no problem keeping up. Gas tank is plenty large and will run 12+ hours at a reasonable load before needing fuel. Love the hour meter. Its also quieter than the 4000 watt genset I had before this one. 50 hours in and zero change. I've owned a lot of tools and have a very good feeling about this piece of equipment.

A note on generator size. I looked at whole-house standby units and decided not only could I not justify the initial purchase but the cost to run them during a power outage. A full-size standby generator will burn 1.5-2gph of propane. Add it up and that's close to $200/day. For that kind of money I'll go stay in a hotel and save my thousands of dollars. This size is perfect for what I need: Well pump, Furnace, Lights, and a few outlets. I've got a large house with both my parents living with me. I don't want them sitting in the dark or needing to climb stairs unneccesarily. The portable genset may be a little inconvenient but the cost savings is huge. If you have natural gas to pipe into then maybe the standby is viable option but if you need propane/diesel BEWARE WHAT IT WILL COST YOU!!!

I looked at Hondas and other high end gensets but couldn't justify the 3k+ pricetag for an occasional item. Then I looked at cheaper ones and couldn't convince myself they were going to be dependable in a meaningfull way. I think for the money this is an excellent choice and would buy again, but doubt I will need one for a long, long time.

1 comment: