Saturday, February 18, 2012

DuroMax XP8500E 8,500 Watt 16 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start

DuroMax XP8500E 8,500 Watt 16 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start Description

Safeguard your family as well as provide portable power for work and play with the DuroMax XP8500E gas-powered generator, which features a 16.0-horsepower air-cooled OHV engine that cranks out 7,000 constant running watts of power (and a peak of 8,500 watts; learn more about wattage needs below). It includes both a standard recoil start as well as an easy electric start.

This rugged workhorse is ideal for the jobsite where powering saws, drills, and other equipment is critical, but you can also depend on it for emergencies at home--insuring your essential appliances are running smoothly, reliably, and without interruption. It's EPA approved, and is also safe to use in U.S. National Parks thanks to the super quiet exhaust with spark arrestor.


The XP8500E includes four 120-volt, 20-amp standard household outlets to supply power to all of your appliances as well as a powerful 120/240-volt, 30-amp twist lock outlet for high-powered tools. A 12-volt DC output with leads functions as a charger for batteries and other rechargeable devices. Overloads are never a problem with its dual 15-amp circuit breaker. A volt meter allows you to monitor your generator's output range at all times, and the battery charge indicator light lets you know when the generator's starter battery is charging.

The exclusive DuroMax RV Switch (voltage selector) allows you to get maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles as well as choose between operating the generator at both 120 and 240 volts simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.

With the electric start, it's as simple to get this generator going as turning on your car. And if the battery isn't fully charged, you can use the single-pull recoil cord to start the generator.

The XP8500E features a heavy duty steel frame roll cage with four-point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and quiet operation. This generator is also easily portable thanks to the wheel kit with a flip-up, stow-away handle. The 10-1/2-inch all-terrain, never flat tires offer the flexibility and looks of a pneumatic tire without the rigidity of a solid tire--improving the mobility across both soft ground and hard surfaces.

You'll get up to 8 hours of run time (at 50 percent) from a 7-gallon tank of fuel. Other features include a super-quiet muffler, an advanced automatic voltage regulator (AVR) system and a low oil protection system which automatically shuts the generator off to protect it from any damage should it run out of oil. It's backed by a one-year limited warranty.

This review is from: DuroMax XP8500E 8,500 Watt 16 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start

Bad Part Covered - Worked as Expected Otherwise, November 14, 2011 By C. G. Smith (CT USA)
(REAL NAME)

Bought this generator during the Hurricane that hit the east coast in August. Luckily I did as we had a suprise snow storm that hit CT in October! Now when I tested the generator when I bought it, I ran it with load for a few hours and it worked fine. During the snowstorm when I ran it, eventually it did spring a slow oil leak due to a bad gasket/cap. Very frustrating obviously during an 8 day power outage (thank you CLP - sarcasm for CT folks). In any case my patch job held the leak back and other than that the generator has worked as expected. I called Maxtool and they did ship me the parts required at no cost, however as other's noted they do ask for the shipping which I agree is inappropriate during the warranty period, but it was a few bucks so not too bad. It was however USPS which means 5-7 business days, they could not offer my alternative shipping like FedEx, soooo again a negative.

Overall for the product the run times are good, on a tank of gas they are longer than expected 10-12 hours on 50% or less load. Changing the oil every 20 hours is about standard for generators and was easy to do. Electric start works great, as well as the pull cord for starting. Would be nice if it came with covers for the outlets but that's just a nice to have. The noise level is below average so a little noisy but not too noisy as some generators I've heard.

Overall I give this product 4 stars....SO FAR. All products will have a few bad parts once in a while, manufacturing quality control (thank you China) and I got one. Once I put the new pieces in the next week I'll update if it doesn't do the job. I'd say the only thing that lost a star was the par warranty shipping service. The Maxtool people are friendly and nice, but don't expect the platinum service that you would get with a bigger generator brand (which you do pay for in the price btw)

Awesome!, November 9, 2011 By radone2

Purchased after Tropical Storm Irene. Used it for 10 days straight after Winter Storm Alfred.

This unit plugs into my main panel via a 30amp outlet. Having the ability to pick and choose what I want on is the only way to go; running extension cords on a raised ranch will not work. The fuel efficiency is as stated, even with the fuel gauge on E it ran for an hour or so after that. Biggest draw was the well and fridge; it would simply go up in RPMS for the surge and it was back to normal.

Never skipped a beat over those 10 days without power (Thanks CL&P). Shut it down to check oil every other day for an hour, but it basically ran all day and night long. The unit is a little loud, but that's to be expected. Easy to start, even with pull cord. Like the idle control and auto shutoff for low oil. For what you get for the price for something you only use once and awhile, I think its well worth the investment. To spend lots of money for a Honda, seems like a waste. Better to invest in the interlock kit for your panel or switching out the old panel to the new style.

It has performed as advertised, August 26, 2011 By Thomas

I have used this generator for 11 months now and it has performed great. There were two power outages last winter, one lasting two days, the other for 14 hrs. This generator did an outstanding job running anything in our total electric home (albeit not all at once). I followed the instructions and run it once a month, then drain the gas, and store it out of the weather. The motor starts fast with the electric start, and there are no leaks anywhere on the engine or tank as others have reported. For the money I absolutely would buy another one and recommend it to my friends.

great machine, February 1, 2011 By Craig M. Zacarelli "photographer" (wallingford,ct.)
(REAL NAME)

got mine last year and im loving it. recently used it to run a small ele chainsaw way down at the back of my property, worked great, now we are expecting to get B***h slapped b y Hurricane Irene this sunday so ill be useing this baby again most likley....living out in the country with lots of trees means power outtages are not at all uncommon. Id say, if you want this modle, get it.. I love mine, just wished it had a hitch to hook it too my tractor, its pretty heavy to push across like 3 acres on grass and field...lol

Needed a Good Generator - Fast, January 5, 2011 By Michael Pochop (McCook, Nebraska, US)

I ordered the 10000 watt 16hp generator exactly nine days before Christmas, actually needing it two days before Christmas, and hoping for a miracle. I needed the unit to power a Clark 3DS floor machine which requires 8kw steady to operate. I was scheduled to refinish a school gym floor and couldn't get ahold of a rental piece of equipment.

Speaking to the sales rep - he told me I would probably not see the unit before Christmas - I hesitated and then ordered the unit anyway. The unit was sent from California to Nebraska and was delivered in 3 working days without a rush on shipping. I was ecstatic.

I unpacked the unit and found it simple to get ready to operate. I attached 200 foot of heavy guage 30 amp cord to the generator, hooked up my 3DS and fired up the generator. After about three minutes to allow for warm up, I activated the 3DS. The generator immediately picked up to full throttle, supplying ample power to my floor machine. So the initial test went okay.

Two days later at six o'clock in the morning, at a temperature of 10 degrees F, I cranked up the machine and got ready to start on the gym floor. After a five minute warm-up; I started and ran my 3DS for almost five hours straight. I had absolutely no problems with this unit and it didn't even use a half a tank of gas at full throttle for a good four hours.

Very happy about the solid wheels - no possibility for flats. Very happy about the electric start, individual breakers, idle control, and ease of operation. The noise was about what I expected for a 16hp motor, but was quieter than a lot of Briggs motors of less hp. Overall, a well built, solid unit. I would recommend it.

Update as of January 2012. I used the above generator to refinish 8 gym floors last year. I average about 6-7 hours of running time, with about 4 to 5 hours of full throttle running time. I've had no "quirks" or bad experiences with the unit. I changed the oil after the first 10 hours of operation (old habit from working with small engines) to allow for break-in. Still running great.

Well Pleased after 1 year, October 20, 2010 By R. L. Reed "R. Reed"
(REAL NAME)

I have had the Powermax xp8500e for a little over 18 months now and replaced a Honda 4400 watt generator with it. Our power goes out often and recently ran the generator over 8 hrs due to a failure in the area. Total run time would be estimated at over 60 hours thus far. I have read the other reviews and decided to post this one. I have not experienced any problems other than the tires leaking down over time. I use it to power the entire house and just pay attention to how much and what I'm using such as cutting the hot water pump off while taking showers since I have 2 4000 watt elements in an 80 gallon tank. After showering and running the water pump I cut the hot water heater back on. The 2 refrigerators and 2 freezers as well as lights, tv/satellite are all fine during this process. Manage your consumption, use a transfer switch and inlet box, it makes things much simpler and very quick. Change the oil after the first couple of runs due to break in. Shut the gas off and let the motor run out then cut the switch off. It starts occassionally on the first pull and if not on the second just to see if it will but use the electric start. It is quiter than the 4400 watt I had and the idle down/up according to demand works great. On several occasions I've had to take it to work on construction projests, buildings where there was no power available and operated fine. I'm sorry some other folks have had problems but for the price and wattage this one has been excellent for me.

Generator, November 16, 2009 By David (Houston Texas)

Great item, have used severals times because of power outages. The keyed starting makes this generator very to use, handles my 2 refers and some lighting very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment